Hello and welcome to our Everton live blog on Wednesday, April 12 as we will bring you all of latest news and transfer rumours throughout the day.
The ECHO will provide breaking stories, reaction and comment to all the big talking points from Goodison Park as well as keeping tabs on transfer market gossip from around the world.
Sean Dyche's side are interested in signing Juventus defender Federico Gatti in the summer for a fee worth around £25 million. The defender is currently on loan in Serie B and impressing.
Everton's talented youngster Isaac Price is closing in on a move away from Goodison Park despite the Blues trying to keep hold of the 19-year-old and extend his deal.
Get involved and send your thoughts to @LivEchoEFC, and don't forget to subscribe to our FREE Everton FC newsletter, our YouTube channel and listen to our Royal Blue Podcast, with all your favourite ECHO regulars including Joe Thomas, Chris Beesley, Connor O'Neill and Gav Buckland.
We have reached the end of today's Everton live blog.
Check back in from 7am tomorrow morning for the latest news on the Blues.
Have your say on Dyche
Lampard signed off on under-the-radar Everton transfer that could haunt Sean Dyche
As Everton fight tooth and nail to maintain their place in the Premier League, you can't help but wonder if sending local lad and in-form striker Tom Cannon out on loan was the wisest decision.
Now, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but with the terrible performances of Everton's front line this year, surely taking a gamble on Cannon wouldn’t have been the worst idea.
The Toffees - for my money anyway - aren't the worst of the sides battling the drop, but for all the solidity and stability Sean Dyche can bring to the team, they still need more goals.
When Dominic Calvert-Lewin is actually fit, he is easily of the level required to keep the team up, but therein lies the problem, the lad's never fit.
So, with Neal Maupay on one goal, Demarai Gray on four, Dwight McNeil on three and Ellis Simms and Calvert-Lewin both on one each, watching Cannon average a goal every other game in the second tier must be a tough pill to swallow.
For the full story, click here.
Standard Liege boss admits to Price interest
Standard Leige manager Ronny Deila has admitted Isaac Price is a player of interest to the Belgian club.
The ECHO today reported the Everton midfielder was closing in on a move to Les Rouches, which appears all the more likely to occur after comments made by Deila.
Speaking to DH Net, the ex-Celtic boss said of the 19-year-old: "I don't know if it's done or not, but he is indeed a player we are following. We spoke with Fergal (Harkin) and the idea is to have a different transfer window from last season, when it was sometimes chaos, when recruiting two or three players before the transfer window closed."
Demarai Gray shares possible solution to Everton issue Dyche has yet to solve
Demarai Gray has outlined the more predatory instincts to his game that could help cure Everton’s scoring woes.
As they bid to avoid what would be their first relegation in 72 years, Everton are battling to stay in the Premier League and they are currently only being kept out of the drop zone on goal difference having netted just 23 times in 30 matches. With six goals in all competitions, Gray is the Blues’ top scorer but out of the four of these that were in the Premier League, just two were from open play with his last couple both coming from the penalty spot.
Some 10 matches into Sean Dyche’s reign as manager, Ellis Simms is the only person to score from open play when operating up front – when coming on as a substitute at Chelsea – but Gray, who has spearheaded the attack for the last five games spoke about his instinctive finish to equalise against Nottingham Forest at Goodison Park earlier this season when going through the middle rather than coming in from the flanks. In discussion with Makai Fray on Premier League’s YouTube Uncut, Gray said: “I like this goal because it’s different and it’s not the goals where I’m cutting in and it was a late goal but that’s just me learning more about being a winger with the coaches I’ve had. If you pull it back you can see I’ve curved the run and obviously the touch and finish as well."
For the full story, click here.
Duvan Zapata boost
Atalanta have reportedly turned their attention to West Ham United striker Gianluca Scamacca, potentially paving the way for Duvan Zapata to leave the Serie A side.
Everton were linked with a move for Zapata during the January transfer window, though the Colombian forward remained put in Italy.
A latest report by Il Giorno, however, has explained Scamacca would be of interest to Atalanta if Everton are to renew their interest. The article states the Blues are 'looking' for the 32-year-old, who has one year remaining on his current contract.
New Everton stadium boost as part of Euro 2028 bid
Everton’s new stadium and the City of Liverpool have been confirmed as part of the UK and Ireland’s bid to host the European Championships in 2028.
The 52,888 capacity waterfront stadium was chosen as the City of Liverpool’s preferred venue in November 2022 and will be included among 10 proposed host stadia when the UK and Ireland’s bid is formally submitted to UEFA today. The final list also includes Wembley (London), Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London), City of Manchester Stadium (Manchester), St James’ Park (Newcastle), Villa Park (Birmingham), National Stadium of Wales (Cardiff), Hampden Park (Glasgow), Dublin Arena (Dublin) and Casement Park (Belfast).
Construction of Everton Stadium, which will be one of the most inclusive and sustainable stadiums in the country, is due to be completed during the 2024/25 season. Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, part of the England team that reached the final of the last European Championships, took part in a photo shoot at the stadium's construction site at Bramley-Moore Dock as part of the bid submission.
Read the full story HERE.
Fans fume over Neville Southall omission
Neville Southall shrugged it off with his usual homespun wisdom but it’s come to something when even machines are being accused of being infected by football’s supposed ‘anti-Everton’ agenda.
With a record 751 appearances for Everton and the club’s most-decorated player, Southall was widely-regarded as being the best player in the world in his position during the peak of his powers at Goodison Park but that doesn’t seem to have prevented him from being the latest victim of what could be seen as a show of contempt towards the Blues. But could a computer really be programmed to think in such a way?
Evertonian @CrazyCraven01 took to Twitter to post a list of the ‘Top Keepers of all-time' according to ChatGPT (there’s more on what that is to come) and declared: “I’ll seriously debate this, where’s Neville Southall,” tagging in the Everton legend.
Find out what Southall had to say about it himself, HERE.
Everton currently odds-on to avoid relegation
It promises to be a nervy next few weeks for Evertonians as Sean Dyche's side look to put some distance between themselves and the relegation zone.
Outside the bottom three on goal difference only, the next eight games will determine the Toffees' fate, but the good news is that the bookies fancy them to stay up.
Everton are currently odds-on at 4/11 to avoid relegation with Betfair. Even though the price has slightly drifted from 3/10 following defeat to Manchester United, let's hope they've got this one right.
Betfair: To avoid relegation
Nottm Forest: 17/10
Martin Sherif wants to keep improving
It's been a good season for Everton youngster Martin Sherif.
The the under-18s striker has doubled his goal scoring talley from last season but says that he is keen to keep improving under the guidance of Blues legend Leighton Baines.
Sherif has found the net 12 times in 15 appearances for the under-18s, earning himself three call-ups to Paul Tait's under-21 side this season.
Speaking to Everton's official website, 16-year-old Sherif said: “Last season, playing up with the Under-18s, I got six goals but this season I have doubled that. It’s been good.
“At the start of the season, I was struggling a bit with my first touch and general hold-up play. But I worked on it with Leighton (Baines) and Kieran (Driscoll) after sessions. I’ve tried to put that work into games and things have certainly improved.
“They give lots of feedback. But also, after sessions, we work together on different aspects. They’re good coaches who help me a lot."
On his experience of stepping up to play with the under-21s, Sherif added: “It’s been good playing with those older boys. They have really brought me into the group. But also in sessions, they show me why they are playing at that level. There’s a step-up, for sure. The game is quicker; the decision-making and passing is a step up, too. When I go in with them, and then come back into my own age group, I feel like I do things like hold the ball up better.
"My aim next season is to be with the under-21s. Then hopefully, in the longer-term, start trying to get around the senior side and join in on a few sessions. Obviously, I want to keep scoring goals, too.”
Jordan Pickford has 'verbal agreement' with Everton, journalist claims
Everton have a 'verbal agreement' with Jordan Pickford, allowing him to be sold to another club if the Blues are relegated at the end of the season.
That's according to journalist Ben Jacobs, who claims that the England number one has been given assurances about his future if the worst was to happen to Sean Dyche's side.
Pickford signed a new four-and-a-half year contract with the Toffees in February, comitting his future to the club, but that would not appear to extend into the Championship, with Chelsea mentioned as a interested suitor.
Writing in his Caught Offside column, Jacobs said: “If Chelsea’s new manager and recruitment team do want a new No.1, though, Raya is high up on their list, alongside Brighton’s Rob Sanchez.
“Everton’s Jordan Pickford is also one to watch. He did just sign a new deal, and there is no relegation release clause, but there is a verbal agreement he’ll be allowed to leave if Everton go down.”
Everton winger Andros Townsend reveals unusual post football career plan
Everton winger Andros Townsend hasn’t ruled out an acting career when his playing days come to an end.
Townsend, 31, has been sidelined for the Toffees for 12 months after rupturing his ACL in March 2022 and is currently in the latter stages of his rehabilitation as he targets a return to action.
Whether he gets to see game time again in an Everton shirt remains to be seen, with the former England international’s contract at Goodison Park expiring at the end of June.
But the former Crystal Palace, Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United man already has an eye on what comes after his playing career, with a coaching career (he is working towards his UEFA A Licence), a new role as a TV pundit or even a place on the stage among the options he is considering.
Speaking to FC Business Magazine, Townsend said: “When you hit 28 or 29 years old, it is probably something that is on your mind almost every day. Before that when you are young, you think your career will last forever. You don’t worry about your coaching badges and that side of it. But then in your late 20s when you have kids, honestly it is all you think about! So it is something I have been planning for the last two or three years."
Read the full story HERE.
Everton midfielder in talks to leave as Belgian side steal advantage on Celtic and Rangers
Talented Everton midfielder Isaac Price is closing in on a move to Belgium.
The teenager is in talks over a pre-contract with Pro League side Standard Liege as his Blues deal nears its end. The 19-year-old has been with the club since the age of seven and made his Premier League debut at Arsenal last season.
But opportunities have been limited for the Northern Ireland international, who is understood to be keen to test himself at senior club level.
Liege are favourites for Price’s signature after emerging from a pack of clubs across Europe and in the Championship that have been tracking the youngster. Everton would be in line for compensation should a deal be confirmed.
Scottish giants Rangers and Celtic were among those interested Price, the latter having come up against him in Australia in November.
Read the full story HERE.
Everton 'consider' Federico Gati option
A Juventus centre-back who was considered the best defender in Serie B when signed, appears to be on Everton's radar, according to reports.
The Old Lady signed Federico Gati from Frosinone in January 2022, before loaning him straight back to the Italian second-tier club. The 24-year-old was back in Turin for the start of this season, but has not clocked up the amount of appearances that he would have hoped for.
And now SerieBNews is reporting that both the Blues and West Ham ‘considering the option’ of metting Gati's €30million valuation to bring him to English football.
Juventus paid €7.5m, plus a further €2.25m to bring him to northern Italy just over a year ago, but could turn a tiday profit if either Premier League club follows through with the claims coming out of Italy.
Hello Everton fans and welcome back to our LIVE blog on all things coming out of Goodison Park on this Wednesday morning.
Stay tuned for more!